Seeing Stripes

9:27 PM

There is no questioning our devotion to blue and white here at East Meets South, but I have momentarily been distracted by a color pairing in a different hue: bold and graphic black and white stripes.


Via

via
To pull this trend off and prevent your home from looking like a gothic circus tent, I think you have to follow the lead of the designers above and pick one striped pattern to focus on.  Don't add a lot of competing colors.  Pick a small nook or a feature wall to draw attention to with the wallpaper instead of doing a large space.  In the top bedroom you have just the black and white wallpaper on the wall behind the headboard, and the rest of the room is filled with neutrals.  It looks so incredibly fresh and visually interesting to have that bold graphic stripe breaking up the white walls.  Sigh.. I love wallpaper.  I can't believe I am saying it; I have tried and tried to tell myself I don't really love wallpaper, but I do.  I officially give up all attempts to resist it... I love it.

If you don't love wallpaper, then you could always do a black and white striped rug.  Rugs are always a great way to add color or a bold statement without going overboard.  And you don't have to scrape rugs off of your wall when you decide that you actually hated wallpaper and what the hell were you thinking?
via
And just look to Kate Spade if you doubt it, but mixing black and white with pinks or golds (or both) can be incredibly feminine.  I kind of really dig the idea of mixing black and white stripes with blush fabrics.  I can imagine that would even look good together in clothing.  Probably someone else's fashion blog is doing it right now, hah.
via
But if you have a man about, don't fret.  Black and white can be quite manly too.  The below is a dining room, so I know it isn't the best example, but you can see where pairing a black and white striped chair or even just cushions could add a pop of interest to a room with man-friendly dark paneling or dark walls. Where so many dining rooms are featuring florals right now, I actually think having a darkly colored wall and a black and white table setting could look quite formal and sophisticated.

Via
When I saw this great pottery by Emilia Ceramics, I knew that I did not have to repent my momentary distraction from all things blue and white.  Ginger jars have been persuaded that it looks incredibly chic too!

via

You Might Also Like

0 comments