Soju

6:30 AM



Where do I even begin.  People in Korea love to drink and it is just a part of their culture and daily life.  And the most popular alcoholic beverage there is soju.  It is traditionally made with rice and the alcohol content varies from 16% to 45%.  Some people compare this to vodka when explaining what soju is to those who are not familiar, but let me tell you, it is nothing like vodka.  I would say it is strong like vodka, if not more, but sweeter.  
You can either drink it straight (which most people do and prefer) or you can enjoy it in the form of cocktails.  My husband and I really enjoyed "poktanju" which translates to "bomb drink".  It is a shot of soju dropped into a pint of beer, similar to sake bombs. 




Most Korean people love soju not only for its delicious flavor but also for its affordability.  When we were in Korea, we saw soju bottles for anywhere from a $1 to $3 for a 375ml bottle. It is harder to find it here in the U.S., especially in North Carolina, but when we saw soju at a restaurant in Virginia selling for $12 per bottle, we just couldn't stomach it.  My lovely mother bought my husband an entire case of soju for his 30th birthday.  I am pretty sure my mom was more excited than my hubby was. She was so happy to announce that she had to put in a special order at the liquor store to get it.  My mom is pretty cool, I guess :)

Anyway, I found this recipe that I want to try next time. I think it would even be great for a cookout!



Honey Lemon Soju
1 bottle of soju
3 lemons
1/3 cup of club soda
1 tbsp honey
ice

-In a large pitcher, mix club soda with soju
-Squeeze juice from 3 lemons into the pitcher
-Mix in a tablespoon of honey
-Pour over ice or put ice in the pitcher

Here is a great tip on squeezing a lemon without making a mess:

Instead of cutting a lemon to squeeze it, just use a chopstick or skewer to poke through the end of a lemon.  And move it around in the lemon then take it out and squeeze it over the pitcher! This way the seeds won't come out.

Has anyone tried soju? 









You Might Also Like

1 comments