Korean Beef Short Rib Stew (Galbi Jjim)

8:14 AM

A few days ago, I finally got brave enough to make this recipe.  Galbi is one of my favorite cut of beef that is frequently eaten in Korea.  Galbi is marinated beef short ribs in a Korean soy sauce base.  You can eat it grilled when galbi is cut in thin slices across the bones.  So yummy - easily found at Korean restaurants, although pricey.  My mom always joked around that every since my sister and I were very young, we always wanted to order grilled galbi whenever we went to eat out instead of ordering off the kids menu.  Expensive taste I guess :) 
 
You can also enjoy it in the form of soups or stews.  Galbitang is a clear soup containing pieces of short ribs.  Or you can make galbi jjim which is beef short ribgs braised in a soy sauce based sauce.  Galbi jjim always seemed really complicated to make but I finally learned this recipe from my mom and I made it for my husband this past week.  I think it turned out pretty good and I can't wait to try it again.  You could probably make this with a different cut of beef, but I think it would be best with galbi - you can easily find pre cut beef short ribs at any Korean or Asian markets. I think the key is you want meat on the bones. 
 
Ingredients
2 lbs Korean style short ribs
2 cups of water
6 tablespoons soy sauce
8 cloves of miced garlic
2 onions, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
8 oz oyster mushrooms
8 oz shitake mushrooms
8 oz enoki mushrooms
1 tablespoon of rice wine
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
1 Korean radish, chopped (or you can use potatoes instead)
sliced green onions
 
 
Directions
1. Soak short ribs in cold water in a large for at least 30 minutes and change the water a few times.
2. Boil water in a large pot.  Put in the ribs and boil for 10 minutes.
3. Drain and place the short ribs back in the pot.
4.  In a separate bowl, prepare the sauce by mixing water, soy sauce, garlic, rice wine, and sugar.  Add to pot.
5. Boit it over medium heat for about 15 minutes. 
6.  Add the veggies except for the green onions and simmer for about an hour over low heat.  Make sure to stir frequently and pour the liquid from bottom of the pot over top of the meat.
7. Once the meat is cooked thoroughly and tender, top with green onions.
8. Serve with rice and side dishes.
 
Let us know if you try this recipe, we'd love to hear how it turns out!  Or do you have any other Korean recipes you'd like to share or know about more? Feel free to comment!
 
 
 


You Might Also Like

0 comments