Waiting

11:37 AM

This week marked my 40th week of pregnancy, and I had prepared by deciding to take the week off work and start my maternity leave. Of course that has meant that nothing has actually happened, but I'm sure my coworkers were all relieved to not have me waddling in to work and making their worst fears come true: my water breaking in the office There was a glorious moment a few months ago when a coworker offered me one of the office's back-up first aid kits to keep in my car "just in case." I'm not sure what a band-aid and some aspirin would do for me if I went into labor, but it's the thought that counts.


Does anyone else think Red Raspberry Leaf Tea has absolutely no flavor? It's just like drinking hot water.... I typically add sugar and lemon just to taste something.

Week 40 has been a study in coming to terms with the fact that control is an illusion, a lesson motherhood is going to repeatedly pummel me with I imagine. I can walk the neighborhood for hours, repeatedly perform "labor inducing" YouTube videos until my knees give out from all the squats, and drink a gallon of red raspberry leaf tea every day, and it doesn't mean I'll go into labor. 

What really is great about this waiting time (if you can get past the urge to feel frustrated or anxious), is that this can be a week or two of intense peace and relaxation. No work; no baby. Yes you have cramps, heartburn, and swollen feet so it's not like you are feeling great, but you've had that for months now and it's almost starting to feel normal. My husband asked me about 2 days into my maternity leave if I was bored.  No; I feel amazing. Just being quiet with no due dates or deadlines or agenda items is incredibly peaceful.  And since I can't tell you the last time I had days off that didn't have some sort of to-do list item that necessitated taking a day out of the office in the first place, I've had a stock pile of great things I'm enjoying.

I love how in Cary you can be right in the middle of the suburbs and then round the corner and get a beautiful view of  the real North Carolina around the next corner. 

Podcast Walks
I've been trying to walk a lot this week since I know it should help induce labor. Roughly 3 miles a day is my goal, but unfortunately we've been in a bit of heatwave the past week in North Carolina which means I'm always trying to find the best times to take long walks before or after the temperatures get into the 80s.  I'm afraid to go too far from home just in case I get too exhausted or dizzy or something, so I've been sticking to nearby neighborhoods where I could get back to my house in a reasonable amount of time. Since the scenery is on repeat I've been adding in a podcast with the walk, which means I'm all caught up on my most embarrassing indulgences like Juliette and Amanda talking royals news on Jam Session and previewing the next season of the Bachelorette

Cooking (And Eating)
One thing I hardly ever make time for in my work week is experimenting with learning a new recipe. Like most normal human beings, I hate grocery shopping. If I'm tired from work and need food, I'm happy with cereal for dinner.  I could be happy with  cereal for 3 out of 3 meals. I realize this is not an ideal trait for an expecting mother who will need to be providing wholesome and nutritious meals for a child for the next 18 years. Lo and behold, actually having time to cook makes cooking so much more enjoyable. My two favorite experiments this week have been:

This hits all the buttons for me on a perfect recipe. It has simple instructions, only a handful of ingredients, fast cooking time, and most importantly, it's delicious. I will make this again and again.

Even if you aren't the biggest artichoke fan, the flavors in this are to die for. My husband hates artichokes and he gave it five stars. For the recipe, head here.

I also tried out this General Tso's Tofu recipe. The flavors on the sauce were just not quite right (which I am ready to admit is most likely something I did wrong). If you have a favorite tofu recipe let me know because I'm not giving up on making tofu more of regular part of my diet.

Letting the tofu dry on a few paper towels and then coating it in cornstarch and pan frying is definitely the way to go for best texture.

Girl Talk
Whether it's been meeting up with friends for lunch, or just texting and chatting on the phone, it's been great to have a chance to catch up with my closest female friends this week. All the weird and disturbing body changes that I'm going through I can ask about without judgement. Plus I know that when the baby comes, suddenly conversations are going to be so focused on the baby and getting a chance just to connect with the women in your life that are sisters to you is so important and rewarding.

Caught up with my friend Sarah for lunch this past week at The Verandah at Mayton Inn. She has a little girl coming this fall. Also my bump looks like it could swallow her whole...


You Might Also Like

0 comments