Where to Eat
There's just not enough time to eat everywhere that deserves attention in a weekend trip, but here's a few must have menu items:
- Softshell crab at Cru Cafe Unfortunately this is not always on the menu, but if a delivery of blue crabs comes in from their local source then you are in for a treat! My favorite meal hands down.
- The Oyster Sampler at Hank's Seafood This place is a well-oiled machine, turning over tables with a professionalism and grace that is only ever seen in a high tourist city. But don't get the impression this is a tourist trap; there's a reason this place gets so much traffic!
- The Pulled Pork Benedict at Poogan's Porch I was practically one meal away from hospitalization by the time we arrived for Sunday brunch at Poogan's, but this meal made my stomach find some sort of second gear.
- Lump Crab Cakes at Magnolia's Based on the entrees I saw coming to other tables, I can pretty safely say you'll love anything on the menu.
- Almond Joy Latte at Toast I didn't much care for the actual food there, but their coffee bar is legit if you want your enjoyment to-go.
Walk-Off The Calories Insider's tip: Rainbow Row is less of a "place" and more of a way of describing the colorful historic homes near the waterfront of Charleston in general. Just get lost admiring the mix of French, Spanish, and early American architecture.
Where to Sleep Off Your Walk:
We stayed at the very conveniently located King Charles Inn, reasonably priced, comfortable, and a great place to leave the car for the weekend since you'll be able to walk anywhere you need to go. Even in the rain.
I also want to take the chance to plug a great place to shop in Charleston, the Historic Charleston Foundation. They have lovely antiques, historic information about buildings and landmarks around town, and great chinoiserie if you are so inclined.
All in one lovely place I was able to show my husband all of the items I will need to accumulate to successfully transform our home into my great grandmother's parlor: a Federal mirror (above), Staffordshire dogs, and ceramic parrot lamps. I'm sure he would have had nightmares for a week if there hadn't been such a heavy food coma going on.