July 4th: Dress the Part But Like an Adult

7:00 AM

I have to dress really professionally for work, but I still like to infuse some fun into my wardrobe and feel like a 30 year old still (I've got the rest of my life to wear a skirt suit set every day).  So often when I'm looking at fashion, though, the clothes I would like to wear at my age just wouldn't cut it in the real world. Crop tops?  Boho white dresses?  No (at least not in their native state).  Wearing red, white, and blue in one outfit can quickly age you at 30 -- you either look like you robbed a toddler's closet or are auditioning for a patriotic musical.


This outfit is really cute, but if I walked into work dressed like this I would feel like I was wearing the below:
via
The key to dressing for a holiday without looking downright zany is to pick one element that speaks to your celebratory spirit, and then go with neutrals or simple clothing staples in the same color scheme. Red is a strong color, and red stripes are a look all to themselves which is why the striped skirt with patterned blouse above went overboard to me.  Consider not wearing red with navy if you want to avoid looking too holiday dressed for the 4th.  But red with black or gray or white can work.

If you are wearing red stripes, you need no other statement.  I've paired a red striped blouse with red pants before and believe me, I've never done it twice.  via
I'm all for monochromatic looks, and nothing says summer like white on white (without a jacket of course but you get the idea).  I would love wearing these white sailor-inspired pants with a simple white t-shirt or blouse.  Instantly mature and sophisticated, but still youthful and fashion forward. via
My outfit of choice for summer thus far has been to pair these great work-ready navy sailor pants with with a front-tucked t-shirt in a youthful stripe or tie dye pattern.  You can pair a neutral cardigan or blazer over top if t-shirts are frowned upon in your workplace.  On the weekends I still like to pull off a bohemian dress like this Madewell one, but I struggle making sense of buying a dress that can only be worn on weekends.  The solution? You can tuck shorter dresses like this into a skirt and immediately transition it into a work outfit too.  Picture that embroidered shift dress tucked into a navy midi skirt and now you have just turned it into a dual duty top.  Top with of-the-moment architectural sunglasses and a boho friendly fringed crossbody when you step out of the office, and you'll definitely not be mistaken for '90's mom-style or an overgrown Little Miss America contestant.

July 4th Fashion for Adults

Shop the post:

You Might Also Like

0 comments