White Chicken Chili

6:00 AM

 
I have to be in the mood to eat chili.  I think it is more like, I have to be in the mood to eat beans.  I know this sounds weird, but I have a weird relationship with beans.  Typically, I do not like the red kinds and am more keen to eat white beans, like cannellini beans.  So when I found this recipe on Lovely Little Kitchen, I actually thought to myself that I would like this chili!  It is so easy and perfect on a cold night.  I recently discovered Publix, and if you have one near you, their jalapeno cheddar loaf goes great with this!
 
Ingredients
3-4 chicken breasts (I used 5 boneless skinless thighs instead, just because I already had them)
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
dash of cayenne pepper
14.5 ounce can chicken broth
4.5 ounce can chopped green chiles (I used chopped jalapenos instead, if you like spicy, definitely try this too!)
15 ounce can white corn, drained
2 15.5 ounce cans white beans, drained
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon Better Than Bullion chicken base
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 cup sour cream 
 
Directions
-Place chicken on the bottom of a crockpot, and add chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, chicken broth, green chiles (or jalapeños), corn and beans.
-Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
-About an hour before serving: In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium high heat. Whisk in flour, and allow to bubble and brown a bit. After a few minutes, gradually whisk in the milk and chicken base.
-Allow the sauce to simmer for 4-5 minutes, whisking frequently until it is slightly thickened. Add salt and pepper.
-Pour sauce into crockpot and mix to combine.
-Add sour cream and mix.
-If chicken has not already shredded with stirring, take out large pieces, shred them with two forks, and return to the crockpot.
-Let the chicken chili cook on low 1 more hour if you can.
 
*Because I used chicken thighs, it was really easy to just break them up in pieces just by using a wooden spoon.  I don't know about you, but I hate taking the chicken out, shredding them, and putting them back in.  Call my lazy.
*I didn't cook it on low for an additional 1 hour, mainly because I didn't have the time.  And I thought it still turned out great!
 
 
 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I'm lie you and have to be in the mood to eat beans aha - I don't think it's weird. I rarely eat white beans, but I think I would prefer them, so I'm gonna give this a try!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete