Craigslist Chinoiserie Find

7:00 AM

Are you shopping for a small chest or cabinet to add a little character to a corner or narrow entry way?  After knocking out the major furniture needs (couches and a bed), I turned to Craigslist for the smaller accent pieces that I hope will bring more character to our new house.  Of course, my inspirations are always lofty:


French-inspired bow front chest via
The pefect little chinoiserie chest via

Bone Inlay Chest via
I have been strongly considering the faux-bone inlay chest that is on clearance at Pier 1.  But even at $249 on clearance there are some things that give you pause about Pier 1 furniture.  
  1. It is "engineered" wood.  I hate that.  I like real wood furniture when I am spending enough money for it (though I know on clearance at sub $300 that is pretty decent).
  2. When you buy furniture from Pier 1 you have to pay an arm and a leg for shipping.  If you buy online you have to pay $40+ shipping to the store, then you still have to go pick it up and bring it home yourself.  It costs even more to ship it delivered to your door (between $119 to $149 additional surcharge).  You have to factor this hidden cost into your purchase every time you see a great sale because if you are buying furniture you are never eligible for any free shipping promotion.
With that being said, I find that I like a lot of the things in their store, and have to talk myself out of purchasing them with point one and two above.  This really is an attractive chest for $249 if you forget about those extra expensive shipping surcharges.
Red Surma Chest

Just as I was contemplating making this purchase, I started obsessively searching Craigslist.  It didn't take very long to find my Craigslist addiction delivered again.  I have to say I am thrilled with this black enamel chinoiserie chest.  And at $100 I could have bought 3 of the above chests at the clearance price.  Thanks Craigslist!





Have any great Craigslist or chinoiserie finds to share? Please link up with Lucy and I below!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. It's beautiful, Jenn! Cannot wait to see it in person. Craigslist for the win. Again!
    ~Lucy

    ReplyDelete