Let's Talk Wicker Animal Purses

7:00 AM

If you are ever on the internet these days, you probably noticed that everyone that is anyone is in New York for the spring/summer 2015 fashion preview.  As the pictures are coming in through favorite blogs and pinterest, there was one thing that really caught my eye -- the Kate Spade show.  Yes, the colors are great.  The silhoutes are perfect, so demure yet so young and fresh and fun.  But the wicker animal handbags?  I can't say that I want one, but I sure enjoy looking at pictures of them.

Wicker crab purse, channeling a Lily Pulitzer vibe maybe?  I can definitely see a sorority member wearing this with green and pink. Via

I can't decide if this outfit is cute or just deranged.  Without the floppy hat I think I could handle the frog purse.  Via

Totally deranged looking though, when you zoom in for the close up.  via

Kind of adorable snail clutch (at least I think it is supposed to be a clutch?  I can't tell if it is functional or not) via

Where last year Chanel and Moschino did what I consider to be impractical and questionably tacky (in fashion, that's not such a bad thing) handbags with their spin on "grocery store" chic and Fast Food Nation culture respectively, Kate Spade's new generation of whimsical handbags is much more charming to me.  I just wasn't finding myself lusting after egg carton purses or golden arch shaped sunglasses.  Can I imagine an adult woman carrying a wicker frog purse?  Well, I can't wait to see the armies of fashion bloggers try to pull it off at least.
I totally love this dress from the Kate Spade S/S15 collection
because I am boring and scalloped details are all it takes
for me to feel fashion forward.  via

What I really love about these fashion week shows is that everything is so over the top.  Fashion doesn't have to be practical -- it is ok to be kitschy or tacky or ugly even.  As long as it is different and makes you feel something.  I love dressing like a boring person as much as the next: stripes are my bold look.  But isn't it fun to have a few things in your wardrobe that are different or new or interesting? Controversial even?  As I go through life, I am starting to find tacky less of a terrible thing to be. At least that person's outfit that I am labeling "tacky" was trying something new; maybe it failed, but they tried.  It is great to be a woman confident enough in herself to be willing to try to pull something unique or different off.  And if you can pull off a wicker snail-shaped clutch, I can't wait to meet you and I hope we can be friends.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I totally saw the frog purse last night and thought I kind of like it... haha. I know I would get some crazy looks!
    ~lucy

    ReplyDelete